Pages

Day Fifteen - Phoenix in 24 hours

// August 11th - Phoenix, Arizona // 



I sat at the summit of the South Mountain (with 770 m or so it feels like a small hill) and watched the first sunset of my road trip.
I passed the typical cacti and sang out Chvrches “Clearest Blue” loud in my car, since there was no one to hear me. I’m so happy.
The scenery would have been even more peaceful if I wasn’t surrounded by people who discuss topics in public that rather belong behind closed doors.
The ones on the right were talking on FaceTime with their relatives about them being undocumented, joking about the Greencard and how everything works out pretty well without for them. To the left, a girl that just got out of prison is convinced that her brother will be free of all charges (he was sentenced to 3 x 28 years, what did he possibly do…?) if he’d “die” in prison and they reanimate him. So she’s kind of debating with her boyfriend if there’s anything she can do. He’s trying to talk her out of it though, since she’s got a daughter apparently, at least one person seems sane.
Well, despite witnessing these conversations my day in Phoenix was pretty good.
I arrived late from the airport yesterday, my couchsurfing host still welcomed me sweetly though and gave me some recommendations for the next day.

Art in Phoenix

I was surprised about the large amount of theatres, operas and museums in a city of this size. I wish I could’ve seen more.
First I went to the Phoenix Art Museum, which is definitely worth a visit.
I loved the gallery of pictures by Edward Burtynsky, all so different, but still overall about the topic “Water”. Amazing shots.
Also the exhibition of contemporary art was surprisingly good. I especially liked an installation by Yayoi Kusama, named “You Who are Getting Obliterated in the Dancing Swarm of Fireflies”. It was a mirrored room full of LED lights that gently changed color.
Afterwards I wandered through the streets, especially Roosevelt Row, discovering Street Art and cute little cafés at every corner.

Because I wanted to see the sunset (and needed to buy all the camping equipment) I didn’t have time to see if there was any theatre play that night, but since I met up with another couchsurfer in a bar and got a city tour through Downtown Phoenix, it still was a pretty cool night. Creepy: In one restaurant there was a fence when you got down the staircase to the basement. There was nothing down there but a large table with 13 porcelain dolls, recreating “The Last Supper”. The table was covered in pennies and small coins that people were throwing through the fence.

If you only have one day in Phoenix, definitely check out the art scene!


I don’t know how frequently I’ll have Internet in the National Parks, but I’ll upload new posts whenever I can find a diner with good Wi-Fi on the road. So check back soon!

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen